Saturday, April 3, 2010

1,400+ Find New Homes

It feels different now.  I see my neighbors different now.  Our home even seems a little bigger now.  And life is good.  And all from an Easter egg hunt?  Who'd a thunk it.  I had no idea that this would end up changing my entire view on where we live, and the people we live with.  But it's pretty cool...and so here's what I think happened;

A few days ago I finally got some phone calls from people who wanted to help donate candy and eggs for the hunt.  Super cool, right?  Well, then what happens is you do this crazy thing.  Talk.  We talked about our kids, we talked about the car accident that just happened down the street, and we talked about our neighborhood.  And it was somewhere in those moments of conversation that I became invested.  Invested in them, and them in me and us in where we live.  And this kept happening with every person who called. We have something really big in common with one another.  LIFE!  We are all doing it!  And we just happen to be doing it as neighbors.

So this morning I woke up, not knowing what to expect.  We were still a little short on eggs, and for sure short on help hiding.  So I tried not to worry, and as I walked out the door, I saw one of my neighbors walking towards me.  She was coming to help hide!  Yay!  So we drove to the park, and there were two more people with 400 more eggs! Yay!  And then two MORE people showed up! YAY!!!  Then another person with more eggs! YAY!  These people were chosing to take ownership of our neighborhood!  It was so cool!  And of coursee we had a great time talking, and hiding the 1,400 eggs that we ended up with!  I can't forget to mention that my amazing In-laws drove all the way down from the their home near the Canadian boarder this morning just to help out. They are just great!

Then right at about 10:45 the masses started showing up.  With just my two little signs and a couple of flyers on mailboxes, over 70 kids and tons of parents and family came.  It was pretty cool.  Everyone was talking, everyone was happy and of course the kids were way excited.  I was able to meet so many wonderful families.  I'd say that was more than a success!

So now, in the settling dust of running children, I feel as though our community cares a little more about where they live.  It actually makes me feel safer knowing people are taking ownership.  And that's pretty sweet if you ask me!  From Easter eggs?? Sweet.

I <3 My Neighborhood.

5 comments:

  1. jamie where do you live? because i might want to move there...;) sounds like a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also forgot to add that my parents also helped a ton with egg and candy donations. Thanks Mom and Dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww yeah! Proud of you, girl! :) (This is Lauren, btw:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOOOO fun! I'm glad it worked out so amazingly well!

    ReplyDelete